Background Image

Wellbeing App

Teenagers help design 'wellbeing' app for young people

The My TeenMind app has been released FREE on Android and Apple devices. Magna Carta students have designed a Health and Wellbeing app that allows young people to gauge their mental health and provides information on where to seek help if they need it.

The app, believed to be the first mental health app in the UK specifically designed for young people by young people, was designed in collaboration with Gaia Technologies & students at The Magna Carta School, which has been recognised by the Surrey Educational Trust for its commitment to promoting wellbeing for students through a number of ongoing projects.

The app was launched on Apple and Android devices in February 2016 by Natasha Devon MBE, the writer and TV celebrity who founded the Self Esteem Team.

The primary function of the app is to encourage young people to take control of their situations: to encourage emotional intelligence and resilience. There is a mood tracker with emojis reflecting: happy, ok, anxious, sad, angry moods. This feature allows them to track their daily moods and enable reflection on any patterns they see occurring and possible links this may have with what happens on those days that may be triggering that mood.

There are 5 sections:

• My Environment;

• My Mind;

• My Relationships;

• My Body;

• My Relaxation.

In each section there are topics relating to mental, emotional and physical health offering short punchy definitions, advice and where to get help in the school and in the community.

The Health and Wellbeing App was the result of work carried out by the school’s SLT, Dr Rita Rebholz and support from The Children’s Society, to ensure students are involved in the design and provision of wellbeing services within the school. Mental Health Charity Woking Mind, Mental Health Nurses, Social Workers and Educational professionals have all inputted into the content of the APP with the students helping research and signing it off.

Head of Health and Wellbeing Ms Erasmus said: “Our students designed the wellbeing app to serve as a prompt to young people to think about how they are feeling, to consider whether they might need some support, and where to find that help. It is part of a wider approach the school is taking to support our students and our staff in maintaining good mental health, which includes teaching them strategies to cope with stress and anxiety.

The My TeenMind App designers were Highly Commended in the Community Superstar category at this year's Surrey Young Superstars awards.

Student Blog

Students appy with Android launch

Gaia Technologies | IT & ICT Solutions for Schools & Colleges
www.gaia-tech.com
Gaia is the leading, DfE approved provider of ICT products, ICT services, ICT solutions & ICT Managed Services to UK Schools, Colleges & Universities