Background Image

Gifted and Talented

What is it?

At The Magna Carta School we are committed to providing high quality education for all our pupils.

We believe a rich, challenging and stimulating curriculum will benefit all children, some of whom will be more able then others.

The recognition and meeting of the needs of more able students will raise expectations, create a culture where success is valued and therefore raise standards throughout the school community.

Through The More Able, Gifted and Talented program The Magna Carta School ensure that the talents and abilities of students achieving in the top 10% of their cohort are recognised and supported. All students in top sets are considered to be ‘More Able’. Students can then be nominated to go on the Gifted and Talented register by teachers. Students who achieve 130+ on their MidYis tests in Year 7 also automatically go on the Gifted and Talented register.

What does this mean for my child?

If your child is on The Gifted and Talented register you will receive a letter telling you, and for which subjects they have been nominated for. This will usually arrive in the Christmas term. Being on the Gifted and Talented register will allow teachers to challenge students to their appropriate level, and also will open up different opportunities to students for extra curricular and support activities.

Examples include:

• Year 7 mentoring
  • Surrey Satro challenges with other schools
  • NDS Red button challenge
  • Intergenerational Project in conjunction with Royal Holloway University
  • LGBT History awareness month
  • Year 11 A/A* Mentoring

As well as these, other trips are running throughout the Year specifically aimed at challenging and enriching the school’s More Able, Gifted and Talented.