Background Image

CEIAG (Careers Education Information Advice & Guidance)

CEIAG programmes are designed to develop the knowledge, understanding, confidence and skills students need to make an informed choice about their future. The programmes enable students to progress effectively into further learning and work, now and in the future.

At The Magna Carta School, we are committed in providing a well-structured CEIAG programme for all students in Year 7 to 11. These programmes are delivered by tutors during registration and scheduled time.

We also work in partnership with Innervate Career Services, an outside agency. They provide one-to-one impartial Career Guidance interviews to Year 10 and 11 students, Group Career Guidance sessions to Year 8 and 9 and Destination programmes.

As a school, we are aware that not all students will further their education after leaving school, part of the CEIAG programme is to make students aware of all the routes to a successful career. We have designed an apprenticeship programme for students from Year 9 to 11. The programme is to inform students about alternative routes to higher education.

The programme is designed to enable students to develop an understanding of different viewpoints about careers and work besides their own and to develop their mind to new possibilities. Students benefit from activities that support personal reflection and develop the skills and expertise that employers want.

Personal Learning and Thinking (PLTS)
Year Groups – All
(Different activities)

This unit provides a framework for describing the qualities and skills needed for success in learning and life. The framework comprises six groups of skills that are essential to success in learning, life and work. The framework captures the essential skills which build relationships with others, and managing own learning, performance and work.

Self-awareness
Year Groups – All
(Different activities)

This unit enables students to develop their qualities and skills, roles and responsibilities, values and attitudes, needs and interests, aptitudes and achievements and are better able to understand themselves, make informed choices and relate well to others.

Self-determination
Year Groups – All
(Different activities)

Self-determination enables students to develop personal autonomy, self-efficacy and personal agency. It boosts hope, optimism, adaptability and resilience. Self-determination empowers students to realise their aspirations and manage their careers.

Self-improvement
Year Groups – All
(Different activities)

Students will be able to foster positive attitudes to lifelong learning and the skills of planning, review and reflection. Understanding what they have learned, what they need to learn next and how they learn, best enables each student to develop their potential.

Exploring careers and career development
Year Groups – All
(Different activities)

This unit gives students a better understanding of career processes and structures which enables them to manage their own careers. It also enables them to appreciate the career experiences of others.

Investigating work and working life
Year Groups – All
(Different activities)

Investigating people’s experiences of work enables students to understand the meaning and purpose of work in people’s lives. They learn what constitutes good or decent work and how to find it for themselves.

Understanding business and industry
Year Groups – 10 and 11
(Different activities)

By understanding types of business and business functions enables students to prepare for employment and to appreciate the contribution of business and industry to social and economic life.

Investigating jobs and labour market information (LMI)
Year Groups – 10 and 11
(Different activities)

Students will learn how to access, analyse and act on relevant and appropriate job and labour market information when choosing and planning for careers.

Valuing equality, diversity and inclusion
Year Groups – All
(Different activities)

Students will be able to recognise that the commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion in British society benefits them as much as others. By resisting the damage caused by stereotyping, discrimination and prejudice, they will realise their own ambitions and help others to do so.

Learning about safe working practices and environments
Year Groups – All
(Different activities)

Students will learn about safe working practices and environments helping them to keep themselves and others healthy and safe at work.

World of Work - Developing your career management and employability skills – Year 10

Preparing for employability

Students will gain the skills and experience that will enable them to get jobs and sustain themselves in employment

Developing personal  financial capability

Students will learn how to make decisions about spending, saving and investing to ensure their economic well-being now and in the future.

Handling applications and

interviews

Students will learn how to promote themselves in a way that attracts the attention of selectors and recruiters as well as managing the applications process requires them to develop a range of self-presentation and marketing skills that they will need throughout their lives

Managing changes and transitions

Students will be made awareness of how to cope with life changes and transitions, partly gained from reflecting on previous moves, can support lifelong career development and employability.

Careers and Sixth Form – Year 11

Identifying choices and

opportunities

Students will be able to research and recognise suitable progression pathways and qualifications. Using networking, negotiation, information and evaluation skills enabling students to maximise their choices and opportunities, including those that are unforeseen or unplanned.

Planning and deciding

Students need to know how to get information, clarify values and preferences, identify alternatives, weigh up influences and advice, solve problems, review decisions and make plans.

Managing changes and transitions

Students will be made awares of how to cope with life changes and transitions, partly gained from reflecting on previous moves, can support lifelong career development and employability.