Background Image

Social, Moral, Spiritual & Cultural Development

At The Magna Carta School, we recognise that the personal development of our students plays a significant part in their ability to learn and achieve their full potential. As such, the spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) enrichment of our students is a key part of the school’s ethos.

We believe the SMSC development of our students is as important as their academic development. We aim to provide an education that enables them to explore and develop their own:

• Values and beliefs;
  • Spiritual awareness;
  • Personal behaviour;
  • Skills for life;
  • An appreciation of the diversity and richness of other cultures.

Our aim is to facilitate the development of the whole student and help them grow into responsible and positive members of the community. We believe our evolving Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural curriculum will equip our students for the challenges ahead of them.

PSHE at TMCS 

What is PSHE?

PSHE stands for Personal, Social and Health Education.  Every year students will study specific topics under the following key areas: Health Education, Personal Well-being, Relationships, Careers and Economic Well-being.

PSHE is a planned programme of learning through which children and young people acquire the knowledge, understanding and skills they need to manage their lives now and in the future.

As part of a whole school approach, PSHE develops the qualities and attributes students need to thrive as individuals, family members and members of society.

When is PSHE taught?

For 30 weeks of the 39 week year, 1 lesson is taken over for PSHE to be taught to tutor groups. This lesson is rotated starting Monday period 1 with the last lesson during Friday period 6.

PSHE Overview

Mr R Banthorpe
Head of Faculty