School uniform plays a valuable role in contributing to the ethos of the school and sets an appropriate tone. It instils pride, supports positive behaviour and discipline and encourages identity with the school. Uniform can also be useful to protect children from social pressures to dress in a particular way.
The Magna Carta School has some simple conduct expectations on personal presentation. All students are expected to follow these expectations consistently and without question when on the school site:
- The school blazer is to be worn at all times unless otherwise directed by the Head during the Summer Term. Students may ask to take their blazer off if they are hot in lessons, but they must leave lessons with their blazer on.
- Shirt tucked in at all times.
- Tie done up with TMCS letters showing below the knot.
- We encourage wearing suitable coats during cold periods. Coats may be worn in the school building but taken off as soon as entering the classroom.
- A suitable school bag large enough to carry exercise books and equipment.
Please ensure you follow the school uniform guidelines below:
Non-acceptable items include:
“Skinny” trousers, jeans, short skirts, knee-high socks, trainers, boots or canvas shoes, hoodies
Uniform will be constantly monitored; any additions to unacceptable wear/fashion trends will be updated on the school website. Any deviation from the uniform policy due to exceptional circumstances must be supported with a parental note in the student planner stating the reason and a date when the issue will be rectified. Sanctions will be issued per the behaviour policy where this is not the case.
Advice on other optional items of wear/accessories
Jewellery: for health and safety purposes the school will permit only one signet ring (small), one set of stud earrings - lower ear lobe (no loops), wrist watch, one wrist band either supporting a charity or religion, one necklace tucked inside shirt. Persistent offenders will have jewellery confiscated which can then be collected by their parent/carer from the school office.
Nail varnish/nail extensions are not permitted.. Extremes of fashion relating to any item of clothing, hairstyle or appearance will not be permitted. No fashion branded clothing or accessories are permitted.
- Hair extensions are not permitted
- Colouring is only allowed if it appears natural
- No patterns or tramlines should be shaved into the hair or eyebrows
- Hair should not be shaved below a grade 1
- No undercuts
- Hair bands must be plain and only black in colour (no other hair accessories should be worn)
Senior staff will be the sole arbiters of any decisions made.
In the event of persistent uniform indiscretions a student may be sent home to rectify the issue. The senior management reserve the right to amend the uniform policy throughout the year.
For all of your uniform requirements visit our school uniform provider - School Uniform Direct, more information can be found on their website
Compulsory PE Kit:
- Rugby shirt*
- Navy blue shorts
- Jockey shorts - not boxer shorts for boys
- Polo shirt*
- Plain white sports socks
- Trainers that offer good ankle and heel support - non marking sole (no high top trainers)
- Football boots
- Shin pads
- Navy blue football socks
- Gum shields
* Purchase from School Uniform Direct only
Optional PE Kit
Plain navy blue track suit bottoms (may have a small logo but strictly no piping or stripes)
Jewellery and piercings must always be removed for PE lessons.