MMC (MFL, Media and Computing)

The MMC faculty encompasses a number of subjects that build vital communication skills needed in today’s working world.

Modern Foreign Languages

In the Modern Foreign Language department, we aim to promote language confidence and skills for real-world purposes as well as academic ones.

Successful language learning engenders cultural and social understanding and empathy. Our students are offered opportunities to practise their language skills in context and learn more about other countries through an extensive and interactive programme. Modern languages skills are a pre-requisite in today’s professional job market and we promote an advanced study of languages, both as a specialisation as well as alongside other combinations of subjects

Media Studies

Media Studies is designed to empower students with research, marketing, and practical design skills on various technologies and software including PhotoShop, iMovie, Garage Band, GameMaker. They also develop organisational and production skills in video and game design as well as the ability to evaluate their own work and provide feedback to others.

Students build on group communication skills and are encouraged to develop leadership qualities; ultimately giving them the confidence to pitch ideas, give presentations and collaborate on creative projects. Skills which are vital in any career or profession students are interested in pursuing. Media Studies it is a subject which students get enormous pleasure from, they leave the course with an industry related qualification and the ability to question what they see and hear in the media, rather than just accepting it

Computing

Computer Science is a core subject that all students study in line with the changes in the National curriculum. At  key stage 4, students have the option to study the course at GCSE level. It is a highly motivating course and develops the knowledge and skills students need to be competent and informed ICT users and practitioners

Digital Literacy - Just as the ability to read, spell, punctuate, and perform basic arithmetic are essential life skills, so is the ability to use a computer. Digital Literacy lessons develop the ability to use computer systems confidently and effectively.

Students study Digital Literacy from Year 7 to 11, the course is designed to equip students with the skills and knowledge of ‘office applications’ such as word processing, presentation and spreadsheet software. It also includes the proficient use of the Internet and creating content for the Web. The course also covers skills such as communication and collaboration via e-mail, social networks, collaborative workspaces and discussion forums.

Mrs S Dennis
Head of Faculty